Bachelor’s Degree required, with MS or PhD Degree a plus in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with emphasis in composite materials, structures, analysis and mechanics.
3-5 years of relevant experience preferred
- Research/course work in composite structures finite element theory is a plus.
- Familiarity of design and modeling software (Solid Works)
- Strong and demonstrated communication, planning, project management and presentation skills
Medical and Dental through Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN, Vision through Vision Service Plan (VSP), Short Term Disability through Principal, Long Term Disability through Principal, 401k
80 hours of Holiday/80 hours of Vacation/40 hours of Sick
Gloyer-Taylor Laboratories LLC (GTL) is a high technology company specializing in providing transformational technologies to the aerospace industry. Some of our products and services include: composite cryogenic tanks, integrated airframes, cryogenic and high-temperature structures, specialty structural composites, combustion stability analysis, aerospace system design & analysis, reusable space vehicles, landers, transfer space vehicles, launch vehicle technologies and advanced space system technologies.
At GTL our employees have incredible opportunities to work on breakthrough technologies and systems that will transform access space making it much more affordable. As a small business our engineers are given bigger roles and responsibilities to develop technologies and systems many years earlier than traditional large aerospace companies. We are now transitioning some of our technologies into space components, systems and advanced space products
We look for people who have new ideas, courage and the desire to be a part of something revolutionary to join forces to innovate the future of space. Our culture thrives on curiosity, creativity and hard work. We have a passion to make space access and operations affordable.
GTL – Murrieta, CA location is currently seeking an Engineer II/III (Composite Engineer) for our composite structures development team also supporting the Tullahoma, TN facility.
Work includes exposure to export restricted materials and requires security clearance eligibility. Work eligibility will be confirmed through E-Verify. All job offers will be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Analyzes, researches and develops fracture mechanics engineering specifications involving metals, non-metallic or composite structural materials for product design, or operation of product to include structures, mechanical, equipment and maintenance designs. Analyzes fracture mechanics, damage tolerance, durability, design allowable and structural modeling. Specific structural/fracture engineering specialties may include dynamics and loads, stability, and stress fatigue. Tools utilized may include NASGRO (crack growth analysis code) or equivalent, NX, ANSYS/ABAQUS and a variety of software applications.
Specific roles and responsibilities will include:
- Conduct applied research on many different tasks/subtasks of government procurement contracts and internal research and development projects
- Perform engineering tasks to support the development of launch vehicles and their structural components including, but not limited to:
- Formulate conceptual designs of aerospace products and systems
- Design and fabricate tooling, test articles, fixtures, and molds for composite structures and pressure vessels
- Develop design criteria for aerospace products and systems
- Evaluate designs for conformance to engineering principles, customer requirements, and GTL quality standards
- Assist with load, burst, and cycle and qualification testing of composite structures and aerospace systems components
- Assist in writing technical reports or other documentation for use by engineering staff, management, and/or customers
- Provide technical guidance to engineers, technicians, design and management team
- Oversee multiple projects done by the Composites Group including
- Drafting statements of work
- Creating budgets and manhour projections
- Ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget
- Training and managing project personnel
- Support business development efforts such as writing proposals, meeting customers, and identifying business opportunities
- Support GTL management as necessary needed
The job will focus on Launch Vehicles, Space Mining Systems, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Systems, Test Engineer, Composites among other product applications.
Since GTL offers such a diverse line of products and services, candidates are expected to be flexible and comfortable working on multiple assignments with varying subject matter. This includes creating a prototype all the way from the design stage to actually performing hands-on work and physically building the hardware and systems. Candidates should be comfortable working with both hand tools and power tools. The ideal candidate would have a broad background with the following additional experience preferred:
- Previous management experience is helpful
- Experience designing, fabricating, and manufacturing composite structures and tools
- Experience in layup, shape forming, and machining for structural composite prototypes and products
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
Gloyer-Taylor Laboratories provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics.